CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, January 19, 2008

BOILED RAISIN CAKE

Okay, now I know the name of this cake may turn some of you off -- you either have a love or hate relationship with raisins -- but this cake is delicious! Great at Christmastime when you have company drop by for tea/coffee.

This is my grandmother's recipe. She just turned 89 this past Christmas. She would often make this cake for me on my birthday. Sometimes, she iced it, but I'd much rather without icing.

GRAM'S BOILED RAISIN CAKE

Boil the following ingredients for 5 minutes:

2 cups water
1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
2 cups raisins
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp cloves
2 tsp allspice

Let cool. Mix in separate bowl:

2 1/2-3 cups flour
3/4 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda

Add cooled mixture to dry ingredients. Stir by hand. Pour into a greased/floured tube pan and bake for 1 1/2 hours at 300 deg.

I usually cut my cake in half and freeze part of it. It freezes well.

Enjoy :-)

2 comments:

Jeannie said...

I have been looking for a recipe for boiled raisin cake that comes close to the one my grandmother made when I was a child. I have tried many different ones and never came close until this one. This cake is very moist and delicious and brings back many good memories. Thank you Carla, it's great!

Jothiranjini said...

It tried it. The taste is excellent. Can I replace butter with vegetable oil. In this case may I need to boil the oil also